Various automotive headlights and their qualities
Headlights not only enhance the overall appearance of the vehicle, but also help the driver to see well. With the efforts of engineering science, these lights have evolved in terms of design and functionality over the years. They come in various types, including halogen, incandescent lights, xenon lights, fog lights, and pencil beams.
• Traditional incandescent lights use tungsten filament bulbs that can evaporate over time. The life of this bulb depends on the thickness of the filament, while the thinner filament emits a brighter light.
• Halogen headlights also use tungsten filament like incandescent bulbs, but are filled with halogen gas which prolongs their life. It eventually bursts with thinning of the filament.
• Xenon bulbs have come out with a brilliant lighting solution compared to other types of headlights. These bulbs are filled with xenon gas and use two electrodes known as high intensity discharge bulbs. These are very expensive and are installed in luxury cars.
• Fog lights focus directly on the road, keeping the light beam narrow. They improve visibility in extreme weather, such as snow and rain. These lights are provided with lenses to distribute the light equally in all directions.
• Pencil beams are high beam headlights that have a narrow aperture and are reserved for off-road vehicles. Having increased brightness and mounting nature, the use of these lights is considered illegal in certain states. LED lights that have low power consumption and long life are a true example of the efforts of engineers.
• Laser lights are being installed on vehicles to illuminate the road, covering a greater range. The harmful effects of these lights are filtered through the fluorescent material, which also changes the color of the light. Although laser light is energy efficient, the installation of such light requires a great modification in the design of the car.
• There are also adaptive headlights, which respond to vehicle speed by turning through electronic sensors. By having a wide range of motion, they can produce light in 360 degrees. These lights may turn on and off automatically depending on the speed of the vehicle. These lights ensure driver safety, but they can also be distracting to other drivers.
No matter what type of headlights you want to install, they must have certain qualities. The lenses must be transparent to avoid any diffusion of light beams. Beams must be focused and bright providing proper vision and direction. These lights are often fitted with plastic covers, which offers maximum resistance to breakage. Headlights must be purchased from original companies for best performance.
All the types and qualities mentioned above will help you choose a suitable product for your vehicle.